As part of my ongoing celebration for my 30th birthday, I am highlighting some popular songs from throughout my years. Songs were picked based off of a list of Grammy award winners and Billboard Top 100. Then, I chose my favorites to highlight.
Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
- Spice Girls “Wannabe” — Number 1 on the Billboard’s Hot 100 during my birthday week. It’s a guilty pleasure. As much as my friends and I made fun of this song, we know all the words. I’ve even been known to do this song for karaoke, complete with interpretive dance in the middle. It’s a guilty pleasure.
- Jars of Clay’s Much Afraid — One of my favorite bands of all time. I saw them when they opened for Michael W. Smith right after “Flood” was released. This was their second album and I think I loved it even more than their debut.
- Radiohead’s OK Computer — Overall an amazing album. Such mood music. This is an album that fills me with images and emotions as I listen. It’s not just karaoke music.
- The Wallflowers “One Headlight” — I loved this album and especially this song. Since then, I have sporadically followed The Wallflowers and then solo Jakob Dylan. But I get really excited whenever this comes on the radio or my iPod shuffle.
- Fiona Apple “Criminal” — How much do you love this music video? It is iconic of the late 90s. I can’t get this out of my head if I hear it.